If you are unsure of what to write in a sympathy card, we offer a collection of condolence quotes and messages as examples:
- May memories of "name of deceased" and the love of family surround you and give you strength in the days ahead.
- Thinking of you and wishing you peace and comfort as you remember "name of deceased".
- Wishing you peace to bring comfort, courage to face the days ahead and loving memories to forever hold in your heart.
- Hold tight to memories for comfort, lean on your friends and family for strength, and always remember how much you are loved.
- Forever Remembered, Forever Missed
- We share in this time of grief, but also share in the love and memories of "name of deceased".
- "Name of deceased" will always be within your heart and the many others that loved him/her and as close as a beautiful memory.
- Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.
- Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength.
- Keeping you close in heart and prayer for the loss of your beloved "name of deceased".
- Our deepest sympathy.
- May loving memories ease your loss and bring you comfort.
- Saying goodbye to someone we love is heartbreaking. May you find comfort in all the special memories shared with "name of deceased".
- Words cannot express my sadness. May the comfort of God help you through this difficult time.
- May there be comfort in knowing that someone so special will never be forgotten.
- With love and remembrance.
- May He who knows your sorrow bring peace, comfort, and healing to your soul.
- Words seem inadequate to express the sorrow felt by the loss of "name of deceased". My heart is with you.
- Someone as special as "name of deceased" will never be forgotten. He/she will remain in our hearts forever.
- I pray that in the midst of your sorrow you find comfort in all the joyful memories shared.
- With loving memories of "name of deceased".
- Although no words can really help to ease the loss you bear, just know that you are very close in every thought and prayer.
- I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time. Please know that I am thinking of you and praying for peace and comfort.
- We will always cherish the beautiful memories of "name of deceased".
- My heart is with you in your time of sorrow.
- "Name of deceased" will be greatly missed but his/her warmth, kindness, and gentle spirit will be remembered forever.
- Cardinals appear when angels are near
- With our love and deepest sympathy as we remember "name of deceased".
For further information, see Examples of Sympathy Notes
"What moves through us is a silence, a quiet sadness, a longing for one more day, one more word, one more touch. We may not understand why you left this earth so soon, or why you left before we were ready to say good-bye, but little by little, we begin to remember not just that you died, but that you lived. And that your life gave us memories too beautiful to forget"
The morning glory blooms but for an hour
and yet it differs not at heart
from the giant pine
that lives for a thousand years
--Teitoku Matsunaga, Japanese Poet
"To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die."
"There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
-- Author unknown
Those we have held in our arms
for a little while, we hold in our hearts forever
"Although it's difficult today to see beyond the sorrow,
May looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow"
-- Author unknown
How very softly you tiptoed into our world,
almost silently, only a moment you stayed.
But what an imprint your footsteps have left upon our hearts
Earth hath no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal
-- Thomas Moore
Like a bird singing in the rain,
let grateful memories survive in time of sorrow.
--Robert Louis Stevenson
"For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity."
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.”
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
love leaves a memory no one can steal."
--From a headstone in Ireland
"Some people come into our lives,
leave footprints on our hearts,
and we are never the same."
-- Author unknown
"When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight."
"When you lose someone you love,
you gain an angel you know"
-- Author unknown
"I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death.
They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make.
Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories.
We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared their love."
"While we are mourning the loss of our friend,
others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil."
"May tender memories soften your grief,
May fond recollection bring you relief,
And may you find comfort and peace in the thought
Of the joy that knowing your loved one brought...
For time and space can never divide
Or keep your loved one from your side.
When memory paints in colors true,
the happy hours that belonged to you."
--Helen Steiner Rice
"There are no goodbyes for us.
Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
--Quoted in The Angels' Little Instruction Book by Eileen Elias Freeman
"It is not length of life, but depth of life."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sympathy Biblical Verses
"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die." John 11:25,26
"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him." 1Cor 2:9
"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." Matthew 5:4
"Come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." Revelation 21:4
"The memory of the righteous is a blessing." Proverbs 10:7
"When you go through deep waters, I will be with you." Isaiah 43:2